Nobody likes to have unwanted body hair, especially if they are on the visible areas of the body. Women have always struggled to remove unwanted hair because the methods available are temporary and not so effective. Shaving, tweezing and waxing are all painful methods and result in hair regrowth after one or two weeks. Similarly, men who are conscious of their grooming face the same problem. In such circumstances, laser hair removal has proved to be wondrous for them.
Laser hair removal has become one of the most popular procedures for hair removal in which the laser beam is used to target hair follicles. The pigment found in the follicles absorbs the laser light and gets destroyed. With regular sessions, hair growth can be reduced for a longer period of time.
Therefore, in today’s blog, we will discuss laser hair removal treatment in detail. From the procedural steps to the benefits, pre-treatment to complications and cost, everything will be discussed.
So, without wasting time, let’s begin!
What is Laser Hair Removal treatment?
It is necessary for people to know every detail about the procedure before deciding to get it done. It helps you in analyzing whether the treatment is for you or not. Laser hair removal is a treatment in which unwanted hair is removed by means of laser light. It can be used on any part of the body, e.g. bikini line, underarms, legs, chest, back, and arms. Both men and women can undergo treatment.
How Is The Procedure Performed?
From the last 20 years, laser hair removal is being tested and applied by several clinicians and beauticians.
But many people do not know that how is it performed? In this section, we will learn about the mechanism.
You must know that hair growth in three main cycles, which include Anagen, catagen, and telogen, respectively. Anagen is the first cycle of active hair growth. Catagen is the second cycle of dormant hair growth. Whereas, telogen is the third cycle in which hair starts shedding. Laser hair removal is performed during the first Anagen cycle for better results.
- At first, topical anesthesia is applied to the targeted area to numb it.
- Then the laser therapist moves the handheld laser device on your skin emitting the light that gets absorbed by the melanin pigment in your hair follicle.
- The absorption of laser light by melanin results in the disruption of hair follicle growth.
Several treatment sessions disrupt hair growth regularly, resulting in dramatic hair growth reduction. That is why laser hair removal is considered to be the most effective way of getting rid of unpleasant body hair.
Types Of Lasers Used For Hair Removal
Laser treatment for hair removal has been tested with a wide variety of lights. Therefore, the lasers used in the procedure are classified into different types based on wavelengths.
Following are the various types of lasers arranged from the lowest to the highest wavelengths;
- Pulsed diode array
- Nd: YAG
The lasers at the lower end of the wavelength spectrum possess higher energy and are very effective in reducing hair growth. Many top-class cosmetic surgery clinics are using a combination of two lasers, i.e. Alexandrite and Nd: YAG. It is because these lasers can treat a variety of skin types and hair colors causing minimum discomfort.
Benefits Of Laser Hair Removal
There are incredible benefits of laser treatment for hair removal. Some of the major benefits include;
- It can be used to remove unwanted hair from any part of the body from head to toe. However, it is not preferable to use laser around eyes.
- It is the most precise treatment for hair removal because it can target dark and coarse hair selectively.
- It only destroys the hair follicles and does not harm the surrounding skin.
- It is effective for all hair colors except white and grey hair because they lack melanin pigment.
- It is suitable for all skin tones.
- It is a relatively quicker method because each pulse of the laser takes a fraction of second to treat a lot of hair. Areas like upper lips can be treated in less than a minute. Whereas, areas like legs and back can take an hour or so.
- It is comparatively painless than waxing and shaving, protecting you from razor cuts and nicks.
- It gives nearer to permanent results because approximately 3-7 sessions can limit the hair growth drastically.
Imagine getting rid of razors, waxing, and depilatory creams for the rest of your life. Isn’t it amazing?
Laser hair removal can do it in reality, as well. Consulting with your dermatologist and undergoing all the required sessions regularly can set you free from body hair for a longer period of time.
How to prepare for the procedure?
Laser hair removal is not an ordinary procedure that can be performed by anyone. It requires sufficient training to handle and operate the laser device because potential risks can occur in case of any negligence. Therefore, it is necessary to choose a reputable laser clinic that has licensed laser therapists and technicians to perform the procedure.
Moreover, you need to follow some instructions before opting for the treatment which includes;
- You should avoid plucking, waxing, and electrolysis for almost six weeks before the treatment.
- You should not go out in the sun for approximately six weeks before and even after the treatment.
- You should shave the targeted area before getting the treatment so that there is no hindrance for the laser to work.
Possible Complications To Occur
Like every other treatment, there are some complications associated with laser hair removal too. Your dermatologist can guide you about all the possible side-effects. Some common complications include; irritation, redness, skin Infection, crusting, blisters, inflammation, scarring and skin burn, etc. However, with a highly experienced doctor, the chances of complications reduce.
Cost of Laser Hair Removal
The cost of the treatment varies from region to region and country to country. It depends on a few factors which include;
- Size of the area being treated.
- The time required to treat the area.
- Experience of the doctor.
- The country in which you are getting the treatment.
The estimated cost of laser hair removal in Dubai and Abu Dhabi for full body is round about 6000 AED. We recommend you to visit your doctor for customized advice and to know about the cost of the treatment in your particular case.
In this brief guide, we have tried to cover a few essential areas of laser hair removal to educate you about it. The laser treatment for hair removal is beneficial and the most effective procedure to deal with unwanted hair. You need to visit the best clinic that has the latest technology and all the facilities. Laser Lab is a leading laser hair removal clinic in Dubai known for its world-class facilities and patient-centric approach. You can book an appointment for an initial consultation with our laser therapist for free. We aim to provide quality services to our patients for their well-being. Visit our clinic and embark on the journey of getting the hair-free body.